Swaaaaagbuuuuuuuuuucks

Search & Win

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Girls day out, talapia, and a clean sweep

It has been a fun day. But lets start yesterday...

After I got home from dance class last night I did a clean sweep. I did the dishes, swept the kitchen, washed the table, folded the laundry, swept the dining room, picked up the toys and vacuumed the living room. I got all of the cleaning that has always been a weekly chore and is now becoming a daily/every other day chore. (Other than dishes obviously, I don't think we'd have any dishes left after 2 days). I have been doing this anyway but last night when I got home I looked around and realized in just this one day the all my work over the last week and a half was falling apart.

My brother had his yo yo on the counter...

His hat lay on the dining room table...

His xbox controller was on top of the entertainment center.

My daughter's school bag was on the kitchen floor...

Her dance bag was under the table...

Her toys were creeping out of the living room into the dining room.

There were 2 loads of laundry sitting on the dining room floor...

Coats on the back of every chair...

A sink full of dishes...

Dust bunnies starting to collect in corners...

Coffee stains around the coffee pot...

Jewelry all over the table.

In one day this had happened. I sighed. And then I got to work. Starting Monday I will be gone to work from 630 in the morning until 530 in the evening (including drive time). I refuse to go back to spending most of a day cleaning every Saturday or Sunday, the time that I should be doing fun things with Alexis and Jaime, because it needs done.

In just under 2 hours I had the house back to clean, a cake baked and was decorating the cake. It is my hobby to decorate cakes so my daughter tends to want to take this when she has the snack bucket (once a month, per preschool). Her one preschool won't allow anything that is not prepackaged. This I tend to send healthy snacks for (yogurt, cheese sticks, etc). I also try to send healthier snacks for her other preschool (she is in a 4 year old program and a preschool, both are half days, because of my work and school schedule). However about every 3 months I let my daughter pick whatever she wants. This was that month.

I still was in bed by 10 last night.

This morning I woke up and my friend and I had discussed going shopping today while our children were at school. I debated a little with myself (it was a whopping 2 degrees outside when I woke up with a windchill of -10) and then decided that since I had nothing that needed to be done at home, I deserved to go out with a friend and just enjoy myself before work starts again.

We ran a few 'need to' errands, like taking my engagement ring to the jewelers to be sized, and going to Salvation Army to pick up another pair of slacks for orientation next week, but we did some fun window shopping and went to lunch. It was fun and peaceful.

When I got home I made Lemon Garlic Talapia, roasted potatoes and green beans for dinner. It was delicious. Now I'm not a big fan of fish. Seems like most types have a very fishy flavor (and if you dislike fish, you know exactly what I mean, or if you've ever had a bad piece) and I don't care for it. Talapia however does not have this flavor. It doesn't really have a flavor except for what you cook it in. With all the health benefits of fish, it's wonderful. And the recipe (which I threw in below just for laughs) is super easy. Could easily be a week night meal.

Tomorrow Alexis doesn't have school so...we are going to have a fun mother-daughter day. We're going to get up and start making french bread (to go with dinner, spaghetti with meatballs, salad and homemade garlic bread). Then we are going to make pancakes (her favorite breakfast). We're going to play around home until the bread is done (about 4 hours) and then have lunch (pizza). Then we are going to go to the library, pick up a few boxes, and stop at the grocery store. After dinner we are going to play a game or 2 and then have popcorn with a movie (allowing her to stay up just a little late).

To my 4 year old, this will constitute a perfect day. To me this will constitute a perfect ending to a much needed vacation. And lots of memories. Now if I can just remember to use my camera....


A note about my 52 week challenge...

I will not be doing a new challenge tomorrow because I did my projects earlier in the week. And after this my project will be done either on Saturday or Sunday. Just an FYI if you are following this with me.


Lemon Garlic Talapia

4 talapia filets
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp butter, melted
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp dried parsley flakes
Black pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Spray baking pan with non stick cooking spray. Put lemon juice in the bottom of the pan. Place talapia filets in the pan. Drizzle with melted butter. Sprinkle on garlic, parsley and pepper.
Bake until fish is white and flakes with a fork, about 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment