Swaaaaagbuuuuuuuuuucks

Search & Win

Sunday, January 2, 2011

A Beautiful Simple Sunday

It is such a beautiful day out.

I was sitting on my porch this morning enjoying the sunshine. It doesn't matter that the temperature is under 20, the sight of the sun puts me in a good mood. And right outside the porch window we have a bird feeder. So not only did I enjoy the sunshine streaming through the windows, I got to watch birds enjoy the bird feeder. On a regular basis we have blue jays, cardinals, woodpeckers and chickadees. They are so fun to watch.

A simple joy in a complicated world.

It was my grandpa's birthday yesterday, so we have him out today. We made biscuits and gravy for lunch. He will eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner, as long as someone else makes them. But he is so happy with us making him anything to eat, it does my heart good.

 A simple joy in a complicated world.

And for dinner we are making enchiladas. It is my grandma's recipe and everyone in my family, except my dd, loves them. My fiancee thinks they are one of the best things ever. And it is such a simple recipe I decided to include it below. Sharing recipes is another...

Simple joy in a complicated world.

I have recently read a series by Wanda E Brunstetter. It is about a family of cousins who are Amish. They are another group of people who can find the simple joys. But what I saw that I loved is that they would share a starter dough for friendship bread. Now if you have never had friendship bread, let me explain how it works. Someone starts a batch of starter dough. They then mix it every day and add more ingredients a few times until, about a month later, they have enough dough for 4 batches. They then take 1 batch and bake it, keep 1 batch to start again, and give 2 batches away to friends (hence the name friendship bread) with the directions to finish. Each starter batch ends with 4 batches. It is a great way to give something to share with friends. I will include the starter recipe soon, along with pictures of the bread when I finally get to bake it.

A simple joy in a complicated world.

Now my new year has started off fairly well. Last Wednesday my dd had her tonsils removed. Yesterday morning was spent with her throwing up, however today she is feeling much better. She is up and playing and much happier. Yay!

My fiance has stayed the last 2 nights with us. It was nice to ring in the new year with my family and spend some time with him. Not that this has stopped me from getting my stuff done. In fact at one point today he pulled me down on the couch and told me to just sit for 5 minutes, the laundry, dishes, vacuuming could wait. He's a good man.

It's a quiet Sunday but it's spent with the ones I love. And that is a simple joy in a complicated world.

Enchiladas

2 lbs ground beef
Onion
1 package taco seasoning
3 cans enchilada sauce (we use 2 cans mild, 1 can hot, but it's up to you and how spicy you want it)
Soft shells
Cheddar cheese

Chop the onion. I use about 2 slices of white onion, but again this is up to how much you want. Brown hamburger and onion. Add taco seasoning.
Pour 1 can enchilada sauce in the bottom of 9 X 13 pan. Pour other 2 cans into a large bowl. Dip the soft shells into the bowl until coated. Place in pan, add taco meat, onion, cheese. Roll the soft shell. Repeat until pan is filled. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the enchiladas. Top with cheese.
Bake at 350 for about 1 hour (until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling)

Super easy to make, and a great way to use up leftover taco meat if you're coming to the end of it's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment